Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pink's

Los Angeles

I've been going to Pink's for more than 20 years. When I lived here in the early 90s I worked at a law firm where one of the secretaries loved to eat. She was this really skinny older woman, I think her name was Eiko, but man could she throw down the chow. We'd escape at lunch and she'd take me to all of LA's amazing ethnic institutions. I had dim sum in Chinatown, shabu shabu, the original La Serenada in East LA and, of course she introduced me to Pink's.



Since she was the boss's secretary, the Joan Holloway of our office, we could stand in the endless line and nobody cared that we were gone for 2 hours.

I ordered the same thing then that I order now. Two chili bacon cheese dogs with mustard and onions and a Bubble Up. I don't think the hot dogs themselves are the best but their legendary chili hides that well. You have to have an iron stomach to eat this chili. I've been known to go at 10:45 am to beat the lines. Eating this chili that early is practically suicidal. But I don't care.



I love Pink's so much that I brought my friends Sarah and Bristol Palin. How or why I'm friends with them is a story for another day. For now, enjoy these pics of us eating together. Sarah and Bristol, who met me there in October 2012 after DWTS, took pictures with everyone in line and happily signed autographs.





Pink's famous chili-drenched hot dogs: ***
Overall vibe: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment